1.28.2009

Broken Cisterns

The words of the Lord from Jeremiah 2:13:
For My people have committed two evils:
They have forsaken Me,
The fountain of living waters,
To hew for themselves cisterns,
Broken cisterns
That can hold no water.


Some of you might recognize the imagery from summer camp a few years ago. Sean talked about the broken cisterns that we make for ourselves. And we do make so many of them. But, and to go along with Caleb's latest blog, I want to focus on leaving those cisterns behind. Not looking at all of the cracks and all of the dust that fills up the empty places where we've searched for life and freedom and satisfaction, but looking instead to the one true fountain of living waters, Jesus Christ. It is only clear just how broken our pursuits are when we view them in comparison to the one true satisfaction. How much more infinitely satisfying and fulfilling and life-giving He is. To drink form His living water of love and truth and grace and freedom and so much more. So instead of focusing on the cisterns we've been hewing for years and scraping the dust out of for our whole lives, let's drink deep from the fountain. And to be honest, I have no idea what that entails in its entirety. I think rejoicing and singing and praying and loving are included, but I know that there's more. But for now, I'm going to take the biggest drink my parched throat will allow, and what I've tasted already only makes me want more. Satisfaction that is never-ending and a fulfillment that always offers more. This is what Christ supplies. This is being truly alive.

1 comment: